Our in house expert gives you her 15 top tips for selling online
Back To Resources
1 - Make sure your product/service is compelling
- Google around your marketplace
- Know exactly your strengths and weaknesses
- You must be convinced you have an edge - if not go back to the drawing board
2 - Research your market
- Is it big enough?
- What’s the competition like?
- How is your competition marketing?
- Is there a solid niche for your product/service? (or are you about to go in direct competition with established players?)
- Can it be marketed profitably?
3 - Create an awesome brand
- In the split second of web decision making a nice brand can make all the difference
- The value of a good brand is exponentially higher online - invest here and you’ll reap the rewards for years.
4 - Launch a great website
- It should be clean, simple and clearly pitch your service
- Keep it short - less is more
- Use Wordpress for your site unless it really must be bespoke
- Use 3rd party shopping carts eg. Shopify - they’re robust, reliable and have been tested to optimise the purchase process
5 - Streamline the purchase process
- Ensure maximum payment options
- Put nothing in the way of a client and their purchase eg. "Before you checkout how about signing up for…." NO!!!
6 - Consider Selling through Amazon and eBay
- Selling through these guys saves you loads of time and effort
- Brings the authority of their brand
- Disadvantage - you’re sending your customers to where there’s competition
- Advantage - If your product is compelling you’ll win customers from your competitors
7 - Get your fulfilment right
- Use 3rd parties of you can
- Amazon is the Rolls Royce and gets you in their market
8 - Google Ads is your best friend - Learn it inside out
- Fastest way to get customers
- A good google campaign can deliver a consistent stream of buyers for months on end
9 - Social media can also be your best friend
- Facebook page and ads
- Massive potential audience if you can afford it
- Building Facebook followers is worth it if you have the time
- Only use this if you think your target audience is there already
10 - Draw a crowd
- Competitions etc.
- Get creative. Stand out. Make noise. Don’t be shy.
- Get endorsements from big sites, high profile people in your space
11 - Test, test and test again
- Small changes to ads and webpages can make massive difference to sales conversions
- Constantly try new ideas ini your marketing and on your site
12 - Stats are everything - Google Analytics is a must have
- Your analytics dashboard is your shrine - visit it daily
13 - Build a mailing list
- Get all buyers and as many browsers as possible onto your mailing list
- Devise good excuses for regular contact
14 - Don’t get hung up on Search Engine Optimisation but...
- Google’s smart and can spot cheats a mile away - gaming it to get up the ranking is fools gold
- Build a great site with great content
- Make sure you follow all Googles recommendations for optimisation
- Get as many good sites linking to you as you can
15 - Deliver excellent service
- Rapid replies to enquries - ideally within the hour
- Give refunds whenever you’re asked